ARMS for Biodiversity Baselines in Polynesie Francaise

Date created

05 Oct 2023

Project type

Expedition

Project visibility

Public

Creator

Erin Robinson | Tetiaroa Society

Status

Active

Project details

Description

Fish and coral species comprise less than 1% of all coral reef biodiversity yet almost all assessments of reef status are made exclusively on those groups. Autonomous Reef Monitoring Structures (ARMS) are standardized sampling arrays meant to mimic the complexity of the reef and capture the other 99% of diversity. Building off the success of the Moorea Biocode Project, ARMS provide a more comprehensive baseline across taxonomic and functional domains for documenting reef diversity and monitoring changing patterns through future ocean conditions. ARMS sample biodiversity over precisely the same surface area in the exact same manner. Like pre-fabricated housing, ARMS are deployed on the ocean bottom for one year and then collected to see what species have moved in. The integration of traditional taxonomic methods with DNA barcoding and next-generation metagenomic approaches vastly increases the number of species included in biodiversity measurements. The standardized approach allows comparison from site to site or over time. Over 1000 ARMS have been deployed at over 100 sites across the worlds oceans. ARMS were deployed for the first time at two sites on Tetiaroa in the spring of 2014 and will be recovered in June 2015. The collected communities will be processed to establish the first ever biodiversity profile for Tetiaroas reefs. The inventory generated from analyses of these ARMS will not only provide a biodiversity baseline for Tetiaroa, but also result in the first ever comparison of reef communities between high islands (Moorea) and an atoll (Tetiaroa) using this more expansive approach.

Contact

Chris Meyer
MeyerC@si.edu

Links

No links added

Contributors

Identifiers

Local Contexts Project ID
3f341ef3-31dc-41ac-ab3b-d41481626660

Project URL
https://localcontextshub.org/projects/3f341ef3-31dc-41ac-ab3b-d41481626660

Providers ID
None

Publication DOI
https://doi.org/10.17913/f3/100501.31069

Project Data GUID
None

Project Notices

Biocultural

BC Notice icon. Black background with the top right corner folded and the letters “BC” in white in center.

The BC (Biocultural) Notice is a visible notification that there are accompanying cultural rights and responsibilities that need further attention for any future sharing and use of this material or data. The BC Notice recognizes the rights of Indigenous peoples to permission the use of information, collections, data and digital sequence information (DSI) generated from the biodiversity or genetic resources associated with traditional lands, waters, and territories. The BC Notice may indicate that BC Labels are in development and their implementation is being negotiated.

Notification BC (Bioculturelle)

French

La notification BC sert à rendre visible l’information selon laquelle le matériel utilisé est accompagné de droits culturels et de responsabilités qui nécessitent une attention particulière au moment de le partager ou de l’utiliser. La notification BC est une reconnaissance des droits des peuples autochtones de permettre l’utilisation d’informations, de collections, de données et d’informations sur les séquences numériques provenant de la biodiversité et des ressources associées à leurs terres, cours d’eau et territoires traditionnels. La notification BC peut indiquer que les étiquettes BC (bioculturelles) sont en cours de réalisation et que leur application est en train d’être négociée. Pour plus d’information à propos des étiquettes BC, consulter le site https://localcontexts.org/notices/biocultural-notices/.

Sub Projects

0 Sub Projects

Related Projects

0 Related Projects connected

Actions

Share Download

If you are accessing this site using Safari or Internet Explorer, the site may not behave as expected. Try to access with Google Chrome for best performance